Express what you feel, through voicing your words
India Film Project is dedicated to building and supporting spaces for youth to experience the arts. We realise the importance of the spoken word and this year, India film Project in association with Kommune brings to you for the very first time – Voice Your Words challenge for young people, artists, educators and anyone who wants to present the transformative power of their own voices through spoken word.
Competition Partner: Kommune
Theme – A Short Film Called My Life
Theme Description – Content should reflect the theme of “A Short Film Called My Life”
If your life was a short film, what would it be? Would it be a hero’s journey or the slaying of your inner demons and villains? Maybe pick an event or a defining moment in your life and build your piece around it. When did you last question something? Feel kindness? Write the end of your life like it was a movie? Be visual, take us there. Ever had a conversation where someone spoke just one line that impacted everything you’ve ever done? Did you maybe get in a situation or stop one from unfolding? Witness a fight or crime? What are your inner battles and wins? Keep on thinking and see what comes to the mind and pen it down. Guess what? You can even make up something if it’s a topic of interest. What usually happens in that case is that your own truth comes out.
Registration Fees – Rs. 500
For International Participants – £6.00, $8.00
Participation e-certificates will be provided to every participant
Last Date for Submission – 15th September 2018
What’s in it for the winners
Express what you feel and win all hearts through your words as the top 10 participants get to perform live at IFP season 8 and the best ones will be featured on India’s largest poetry platform, Kommune, a collective of artists.
- The theme of the competition is ‘‘A short film called My Life’’
- It is an individual challenge.
- Spoken Word which is original and unpublished will be appreciated.
- The participant has to attach a voice note of their narration of the piece, which should be minimum of 3 minutes and a maximum of 5 minutes and can have a buffer of 10 seconds so we ensure it adheres to the given time limit.
- Along with the voice note, the participant has to attach the same piece of writing. Typed in Courier font and in the font size of 12.
- This is a competitive category and the top 10 semi-finalists will be given a chance to perform live at IFP season 8 after which the top 5 winners will be announced.
- The best pieces will be featured on Kommune’s YouTube channel.
- Entries are open for participants from across the globe.
- The entries for the challenge will close on 15th September 2018.
- The submitted piece will be strictly restricted to the jury of competition.
- The spoken word cannot be released until the results are announced at the festival.
- No stand-up comedy, personal vendettas or disrespect to any person will be entertained.
- Overly-sexual, or targeting any particular community or obscene content are strictly not allowed.
- Adult humour can be a possible topic, but anything over the top will give the right to the jury and IFP to disqualify the participant.
- The piece can be submitted either in Hindi or English language.
- India Film Project and Kommune, in their sole discretion, disqualify the piece deemed to be inappropriate or otherwise non-compliant.
Spoken word is a performance art that is word based. It is writing that is meant to be read out loud. Storytelling and poetry are two types of spoken word which will be accepted.
Yes, it is a competition.The submitted entries will compete with each other and the Top 10 will get to perform live at IFP season 8 and the best pieces will be uploaded on Kommune’s YouTube channel.
Spoken word uses words and phrases, it doesn’t have to rhyme and it allows the artist to project onto the minds of the listeners like vivid images, sounds, actions and other sensations. If your piece is rich with imagery, your listeners will see, smell, feel and maybe even taste what you’re telling them.
Spoken word is all about expressing oneself both through writing and speech. The top 10 finalists will be called upon the stage for a live performance.
Yes, there is a registration fee of Rs. 500. The payment is to be made online to confirm your registration. You will receive a Creator ID once the registration is confirmed.
As spoken word requires one to perform in front of an audience, in order to relate better to them, Hindi and English being two widely used languages is preferred.
Content which is deemed offensive by the accepted standards of morality and decency will not be accepted.
Kommune will judge the entries and the top 10 finalists will perform live at IFP season 8.